Saturday, June 21, 2008

Spanky Part 2 Information

Thanks to all who have sent me messages with kind words and encouragement during my grieving over my beloved Spanky. I can't say how much it has meant to me to have such good friends and concerns from even people I don't know. There are a few things we pet owners can do to protect our furry little friends, and you may want the information also.

I wanted to add information I have received from friends and pet
concerned persons. It sounds like the best of the advise...

Lilian Schnog at the refugio "So washing the mouth...and giving
atropine and trying to get to a vet as fast as possible. If you can
give you can give an intervenus to the dog, it would be even better,
the fluids will wash the poison out of their system."

I found this on a Costa Rica Yahoo group, and is as Lilian has said also. "One
truth here is, that dogs can get poisoned. One is "self-poisoning", if
they attack a "sapo", usually the species bufo marinus, which release
a poison from glands on their back. The other way is by "well-meaning"
neighbors. Have in any case Atropina and Antihistamínico in the house,
together with some fine syringes, alcohol and rubber gloves. I am
giving you the names in Spanish so that any vet can provide you with them.
The symptom of poisoning – thank God they use just one basic chemical!
– is: very erratic walking, dropping down, foam at the mouth – do not
confuse with rabies, which is very rare! – little or no acoustic
reaction, little or no reaction to touch, violent shaking of body and
legs. In case of poisoning do NOT give milk!
Inject immediately 0.5 ml – 1.0 ml Atropine, depending on the size of
the dog, intramuscularly (usually the haunches), and wait for the
animal to react (eyes will widen immediately, shaking and slobbering
should stop within minutes). This is the moment when you can call the
vet. After ten minutes give the same dose (0.5 ml – 1.0 ml)
Antihistaminic with another (new!) syringe.
These are emergency measures only until the vet arrives, but
definitely they can save your dogs life. We did so about 15 times in
Monteverde."

Atropine is at the top of my shopping list.

No comments: