Tuesday, July 22, 2008

On a happier note...




I am recovering from the loose of Spanky, though it has been very difficult, I did adopt another dog to care for in my home. Ginger is a delight! She is 5 years old, the same as Sunni, and they have not completely bonded yet. I think it was very hard for Sunni also, because he had always been with Spanky, his 'dad', and pal. As you can see from the picture, Ginger is a blond/golden color, and I am sure she is a breed, though I am not sure which. I thought she may be a mix, but I did see a dog on a movie, "Open Range", last night that looked just like her. So I will have to see if I can find out what kind of a dog she is. When I got her, her hind quarters were pretty tangled, so we cut it our, and the front was manageable. The hair is growing out, so it will not be too long before she is back to normal again. Brushing is a must. She is so loving, and gentle, until it comes to teenagers. She does not like them at all. I think she must have been abused by young people, and she knows. The gal that cleans my house is 16, and Ginger wants to snap at her, so I have to keep her separate while Ines is here. I hope to get Ines to calm down around Ginger, so they can bond, because Ines is such a help to me.

I've been doing several things to keep my mind busy also. Went to Poas Volcano one day last week, and did not see much of it. The clouds blew out partially for a few seconds, but there were so many people there, that it was hard to get close enough to see much. And then it fogged over again right away. The kids were out of school last week, and many families were there. I went with a gal who was staying at the B&B for a few days, and it was great getting to know her. We came home in the afternoon, and it rained so hard all the way back. There were 3 accidents on the Auto Pista, and one was very serious. I hate to imagine the outcome of that one. I am sure the other 2 were results of the major accident. I had jokingly said earlier that morning, that we needed to take water, something to eat in the car, and something to do, well we had each other to visit with, but we sure did need the refreshments while we were stuck in traffic. I still do not know my way around well enough, farther away from home to take the back roads either. We had intended to take a back road, but never were able to find the road we needed to take. Lack of signs, and not knowing what bloody town you are in sometimes are the hardest parts of navigation. But we made it home, finally.

Sunday was "Jazz in the Gardens", at NavCafe, and it was GREAT! Joe's band is getting better each time I hear them. The day was beautiful, most of it anyway, and we only had to run for cover for the last 1/2 hour or so. It does pour when it starts here, so one does not wait to see if it is going to stop. No chance. As always, the food was delicious, and there were so many people, from near and far. It is beginning to catch on. If you have not yet caught the Jazz fever, join us every Sunday from 12 noon, until 2 or 2:30, they get on a roll, and don't stop sometimes. It is fantastic!

I have also enjoyed the company of two other single ladies who are preparing to move here. They are building their houses, and are here for short periods of time to oversee the results, and buy what is needed. Shirley and Joanne are cousins, and are going to be my very good friends, I am sure. The community here is cohesive, and it is always great getting together. For the most part, we get along with each other, and it provides diversity for all of us. Of course, many of the retirees are couples, and understandably, most would not come to a foreign country alone. Well, with a few exceptions, present company included. It is always nice to meet other single ladies, to have someone to go places with, and share like experiences. I recently met a couple, who have come here with the lady's sister and her husband also. Most seem to drag someone else, kicking and screaming sometimes, but they come together. I, on the other hand, have come alone, but gathered many friends after getting here. I could not live without making friends and having people to share with. Friendships are really my greatest joys in life. How did I leave my friends behind? Well, I really did not in one way, we talk on the phone all the time. I have a stateside line, and love having connectivity to my friends there too, as well as my children.

Well, back to working...got to go pick up veggies to cook for my pups. The dog food here is not good, and the difference in my pups allergies is proof enough that I will continue to cook for them. My friends often tell me to make a baggy for them too. One should be so lucky as to be my dog. God love them!

1 comment:

Wool Enough said...

Ginger is adorable. I love her coloring.